Tuesday 8 February 2011

A different kind of curry




When I cook curry, I always make a centrepiece dish. This is usually fish or fake chicken based and accompanied by dhal and at least one vegetable curry.

I also tend to stick to Sri Lankan curries, as they're what I was raised on, and when I can, I like to eat them with my fingers. Sri Lankans say food tastes better like that - and they're not wrong.

Be sure not to let any food go beyond your second finger joints though for it's considered most uncouth. Also, resist the temptation to drum your fingers on the plate to discard unwanted rice grains. I was warned as child that to do so was to tap on someone's grave!

Despite my allegiance to Sri Lankan curries however, every so often I get a hankering for a curry that’s quite different in flavour. This recipe was introduced to me by my friend and ex-editor Rachel (check out her brilliant blog at www.veggielazy.wordpress).

It was devised by Cauldron to go with their terrific marinated tofu pieces and is called Rendang Malaysian Tofu and Coconut Curry.

It has a wonderful flavour owing to an abundance of spices and a lovely sweetness from the sugar, coconut and star anise that coats your mouth.

Apologies for the pic by the way, we were so desperate to get our chops around it that only the dregs were left when I remembered to capture it!

Rendang Malaysian Tofu and Coconut Curry

Serves: 4
Preparation time: 10-15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins

3 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 garlic cloves, chopped
6 shallots or 1 onion, chopped
2 stalks lemongrass, peeled and sliced finely
2-3 red chillies
2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
250ml tin coconut milk
1 tsp tamarind pulp, dissolved in 1tbsp water
4 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 x 150g Cauldron Tofu Marinated Pieces
2 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish

1 Heat a dry frying pan, add the coconut and toast until lightly golden.
2 Heat some oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Add the garlic, onions, lemongrass, chillies, ginger, turmeric, salt and sugar and cook for five minutes, stirring until fragrant.
3 Add the toasted coconut, the coconut milk, 125ml water, tamarind, star anise and cinnamon stick and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
4 Reduce the heat and simmer gently for a further five minutes, then add the tofu pieces and carry on cooking gently for another 10 minutes. Stir in the chopped coriander, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with chilli fried spinach and rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment